Saturday, September 27, 2014

Lesson Learned

This week has been a hard one. With a hard lesson thrown in the mix. When it comes to leukemia you can never get comfortable. Like ever.
The beginning of the week was going pretty smooth, despite the fact that she was grouchy. By Wednesday afternoon, though, we noticed she was a little warm. We thought it was due to where she was sitting, in a leather chair in front of a window with the afternoon sun hitting it. So we gave her a bath, put her in cooler clothes and she started to cool off. By later that night she still was warm so we knew this was a real fever. I called and by 10:30 at night we were back in the hospital.
I think I was taking the "remission" a little too much for granted. Her white count was coming up, she had healthy cells. But the reality is that her immune system is still pretty fragile.
Once in the hospital they accessed her port, drew blood cultures and started her on antibiotics. Then we waited and watched. Her fever came down pretty quick but by Thursday afternoon it had come back. It was a long and exhausting day just sitting, waiting and watching. By Friday morning the preliminary results for the blood cultures were negative. Which was good but still didn't give an explanation to the fever. By Friday her fever had come down again, but was staying down without Tylenol. It was to the point that there wasn't anything they were doing for her that we couldn't do at home. So thankfully by Friday afternoon she was released and we were on our way home.
For some reason this hospital visit was more exhausting and wearing on my emotions than before. I was so tired going into it that I know it didn't help. Every now and again I get a self diagnosed tired migraine. Where my head hurts to the point of nauseousness and the only thing that makes it go away is sleep. It has been a while since I've had one and so of course it reared it's ugly head on Thursday. And contrary to what one may think sleep isn't what hospitals are known for. Miraculously, though, our Thursday night sleep was enough to make the nauseousness go away and the headache bearable. For that I'm incredibly grateful for.
Bringing her home, again, I was a nervous Nelly. Questioning my instincts to the point that I don't trust myself. I'm working on it but lack of sleep isn't helping. Shockingly enough. I slept in the recliner close to her bed last night. So I could hear her sleep and be just a few feet closer to her when she woke up in the night.
So now we seem to be battling another, or the continued version of, her stomach issues. I've already called the doctor and she is working on finding a pharmacist that we can get some medication for her.
So, again, lesson learned. No being comfortable. Got it.

*******
This evening Ruth and I will be attending this. I am in desperate need of some spiritual enlightenment.

No comments:

Post a Comment