Friday, September 5, 2014

A Little Update

Each day this week has been a little easier than the day before.
For the past two days, as well as today, I've taken her to the hospital (just a couple miles from our house) for her to get IV fluids and IV medicine for her mouth sores. It has improved her sleep drastically.  In fact last night we slept through the night! Which meant this morning I woke up in a panic. But she was fine, I was fine, everyone was fine. 
Another huge step is that last night, and is morning, she has willingly drank something! Huge improvement as she hasn't done that in days. Hence the IV fluids. She doesn't willingly drink, though, when taking her meds but I've discovered that after I get the pill in her mouth I just squirt some water in with a dropper and we're all good. She fights it but it still goes down.
Something else that's helping with the eating is a little thing called "magic mouthwash." It's a prescription and it really says "magic mouthwash" on the bottle. It's a combination of stuff that the pharmacy mixes up. Essentially it numbs things up a bit making eating and drinking not so uncomfortable. I've once again found that if I use my trusty dropper and squirt some in her mouth it goes down and a little while later she's ready to eat three or four chicken sliders (true story). That's not to say she isn't ticked when I do it, but she gets over it eventually.
In other news William came down with a low grade fever yesterday at school. He has been quarantined to Granny's house. He called me this morning to say hi. Apparently he's not that broken up about this new situation. Ruth seems fine, thankfully. I did make her shower when she came home, just in case. 
This weekend she's off the IV fluids so we're praying that she will keep drinking. And then we go back to see he doctor for another infusion Monday.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that everyone slept last night! The "magic mouthwash" sounds just that... MAGIC! (Can you hear Meg Ryan saying it in your head?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. whew! alissa was on the magic mouthwash a couple months ago! i thought it was just a cute name they say in the ER but..the bottle says 'magic mouthwash'..lol.
    there is something cough/cold like going around. angie missed school thursday and alissa probably should have yesterday...but the thought of that much homework was overwhelming to me so off she went. sorry so long! I hope the sores disappear and stay gone!

    ReplyDelete