Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Pre-The First 24 Hours

Since I'm starting this a few days in, and I really want to start at the beginning, I'm back tracking.
The first 24 hours starts Sunday, August 17, eveningish.
Two days before the first 24 hours was Little Miss's first day of Kindergarten. I was so nervous for her, but she rocked it out like nobodies business. When she came home she kept saying "class!" I think the most exciting thing for her was being surrounded by kids, being the social butterfly she is. That evening I noticed on her stomach and legs petechia. Small, even tiny, red flat spots. Given my educational background, and overreacting nature, I knew that they could be a sign of something really bad. But they could also mean nothing. I  convinced myself, sort of, of the latter.
A few hours before the first 24 hours she was so off. Sunday morning she was crying and upset and as the morning went on I knew that something wasn't right. Then she fell asleep on my bed, then I she felt warm. I took her temperature and it was 101.2. Then I panicked. David wasn't home so I called him, mainly so he could tell me what I already knew: I needed to take her to the ER.
While a good 85% of that visit involved waiting, here's what happened during with the other 15%. They drew her blood, ran a few test. The results came back with a platelet count of 8,000, or 8 (normal is 150-400), she was also slightly anemic, and she had increased lymphocytes. But all anyone was focusing on was her platelet count. While it was shockingly low, it confirmed my feelings and explained the petechia. The doctor called few different doctors, which would then "punt" (his words not mine) off to someone else. The one who finally kept us, Dr. T., was at the hospital an hour away (better than the one two hours away") and she wanted us there that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment