Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Weekly Update

 I asked to take her picture and she looked up and said, "cheese." At least she cooperated.

We were back to the doctor yesterday and after having a 10 day break I have to admit I was a little anxious to have her seen.
Last week she had a number of days were she had little to no appetite and we were basically force feeding her. Just as I suspected her weight was down a few pounds. In talking things over with the doctor, though, everything is still ok. She gave us some ideas of what we could do to get more calories in her and she pointed out that we were not to the point that she would need a tube into her stomach. Despite the low weight she was still full of sass which made the doctor happy to see her so vibrant. She said a few times, "she's good, and you're ok!" David made her repeat it to me. I will admit I get a little "crazed mom" at times and I there's a chance I don't think straight. In my defense, this is hard! And it get's overwhelming. And someday's are just harder than others. On top of all of those feelings that have been swirling for the past week yesterday was my birthday. I tried so hard not to get hung up on the fact that I had to take my daughter for chemo on my birthday. That thought just felt so depressing. Fortunately David had the day off of work so he could come with us. It made a world of difference. And I was reminded over and over that everything is, and will be ok. It felt good to have those reminders. And yesterday I really needed them. Yet another tender mercy.
With the weight loss I knew we would be facing I also expected the results from her blood work to not look so pretty. I was anticipating spending the day getting every transfusion and infusion under the sun. But that was far from the reality. Her results were great. In fact after her chemo infusion we were out of the cancer center in under 3 hours. It might not have been but it felt like some kind of a record.



We celebrated by going out to lunch. As in taking her into a restaurant with other people. Granted we found a booth away from people but still it was a big step for us. She didn't eat much, but was very interested in my lunch. That seems to be a pattern, her stealing my lunch. Some days I think if I had lunch money on me she would steal that too.
And now we have another long break, two whole weeks. Although next week we do have to take her (locally) to have her blood drawn. In the meantime we will be working hard on getting her to eat and drink and filling her up with as many calories as we can.

Wishing you all the happiest of Thanksgivings!


No comments:

Post a Comment