Sunday, November 16, 2014

Chemotherapy Update

I realize that an update is a bit over due.
Last week our appointment was on Thursday.
She had an appointment was for a sedated lumbar puncture. Which means we had to go to the hospital. We've gotten to know the nurses and doctors there (only a handful are "chemo trained" so the ones we can see are limited, which I think makes it easy to get to know people) so I'm quite comfortable. However that day it was cold cold so of course I couldn't find us a close parking spot. And sister wasn't going to walk no matter what I did or said so I heaved her and our stuff much farther than usual. Fortunately we all survived.
The procedure for a lumbar puncture goes something like this. They get her all hooked up (the thing that annoys her most) with the pulse ox, and heart monitor, blood pressure cuff, and her port accessed. Then they give her something to go to sleep. They use the same medicine, as she handles it so well, but it's one that the body becomes a little less sensitive to so each time they have to up the dose. But it keeps her asleep and as soon as they stop pushing it in she wakes right up, like crazy fast. The actual procedure goes pretty quick. They numb the area then stick a needle in, drain some spinal fluid, then push the chemo. Once it's done she has to lay flat for 30 minutes. She wasn't having that this time around, so I just applied pressure to the injection site to prevent spinal fluid from leaking out.
After that she had two different chemo medication infusions. One that lasted 30 minutes and the other 10 minutes. The nice thing about being at the hospital is that the nurses can order her some food. Her latest food request has been soup, and even though she doesn't ask for it she loves green beans, so I ordered her some of both. And while we were waiting she downed a bowl of cereal. She was much more interactive this time, albeit slightly grouchy, and the nurses and doctors were completely smitten by her. Understandably so. Even with cancer and full of chemo this girl is hard to resist.
As I mentioned the weather has turned cold cold here (thank you polar vortex or arctic blast or whatever you're called), which means that the air is much drier. Her lips and cheeks are red and chapped. I've been putting stuff on them like crazy and fortunately she is drinking really well for me. However I'm slightly holding my breath. She is already at risk for sores on and in her mouth and the the chapped and cracked lips are like a breeding ground for cold sores. On top of that Friday afternoon her nose started to run a bit. It's still fairly clear but I still have hawk eyes on her. She hasn't had too much of an appetite but will still drink. And so far no fever.
Have I mentioned before there is no getting comfortable with leukemia?
This week we have a week off. No chemo! But we're back to the doctor's office next Monday.
Happy Sunday to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment